Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Reflecting on Thanksgiving, I am reminded of how lucky I am to be blessed with a great life and good health for my family, and to be able to enjoy my quilting and other hobbies.  I thank all the men and women currently serving our country, especially those who are not as lucky as I am to be home sharing Thanksgiving with my family.  I'm grateful for the veterans who have served our country.  I'm grateful for my blogging friends. 

I was having fun looking for Thanksgiving quotes online, and thought I would share some with you.  Some of these quotes put a smile on my face!

(I love this picture!)

turkey-clipart-2 Coexistence:  what the farmer does with the turkey - until Thanksgiving.  ~Mike Connolly

There is a calmness to a life lived in Gratitude, a quiet joy.
-- Ralph H. Blum

There is always, always, always something to be thankful for.
-- Author Unknown

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.  ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy

What we're really talking about is a wonderful day set aside on the fourth Thursday of November when no one diets.  I mean, why else would they call it Thanksgiving?  ~Erma Bombeck, "No One Diets on Thanksgiving," 26 November 1981

For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare.  They are consumed in twelve minutes.  Half-times take twelve minutes.  This is not coincidence.  ~Erma Bombeck

Ah! on Thanksgiving day....
When the care-wearied man seeks his mother once more,
And the worn matron smiles where the girl smiled before.
What moistens the lips and what brightens the eye?
What calls back the past, like the rich pumpkin pie?
~John Greenleaf Whittier

Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds.  ~Theodore Roosevelt

Thanksgiving is the holiday of peace, the celebration of work and the simple life... a true folk-festival that speaks the poetry of the turn of the seasons, the beauty of seedtime and harvest, the ripe product of the year - and the deep, deep connection of all these things with God.  ~Ray Stannard Baker (David Grayson)

Thanksgiving, man.  Not a good day to be my pants.  ~Kevin James

Thanksgiving is an emotional holiday.  People travel thousands of miles to be with people they only see once a year.  And then discover once a year is way too often.  ~Johnny Carson

Hem your blessings with thankfulness so they don't unravel.  ~Author Unknown

The funny thing about Thanksgiving, or any huge meal, is that you spend 12 hours shopping for it and then chopping and cooking and braising and blanching.  Then it takes 20 minutes to eat it and everybody sort of sits around in a food coma, and then it takes four hours to clean it up.  ~Ted Allen

The thing I'm most thankful for right now is elastic waistbands.  ~Author Unknown

May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!
~Author Unknown

It’s funny.  I was going to blog about the rough day I had but I started looking at these quotes, and didn’t feel like blogging about it anymore.  With a long weekend ahead, I do believe I’ll be quilting.  You take care and hope your Thanksgiving is a great one!

6 comments:

  1. I love that picture too. Very cute. I enjoyed your quotes. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you,too! I liked your collection of quotes, especially the one from Erma Bombeck. I would add that Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare, and 36 hours to clean up and put it all away! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I loved the Johnny Carson quote. How true! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now where did my comment go? In case it disappeared into the ether, I just dropped by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the quotes. I agree with the unknown author up near the top that there is always something to be grateful for. But I especially love Erma Bombeck. What a loss to the world her sense of humour was.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you taking the time to leave a comment and visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments.