Saturday, December 17, 2011

Life is Tough Sometimes

It's been a while since I've posted, partly because I just didn't feel like posting. Perhaps there was a bit of depression with my brother's death.  Then, it was a pretty busy year at work as our company changed hands (again) and we had some major work to do from the acquisition.  Then, life got in the way.  This is not a quilty or fun post, and it goes from bad to worse, so if you want to skip the rest of this post, I understand.  I do feel as if I've made many blog friends however, and felt I needed to update my friends on what is happening.

In September, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer.  I've kind of taken charge of the situation, making sure that I try to make it to the important Dr. appointments and that she is not alone for chemo treatments.  I had no idea the kind of time and effort that goes into cancer treatment.  My mom had a short set of radiation treatments, 3 chemo treatments, and many more consultations and blood draws than I can count.  Her health was compromised with lung disease to begin with.  The pain that drove her to seek medical attention has mostly subsided, so I think the treatment has been effective.  We are hoping that 2-3 more chemo treatments will do the trick and then it will be a watch and wait situation.  She and my father did manage to make a trip to Florida at Thanksgiving time to see her grandson graduate from firefighter school, and to meet her new great grandson.  They had a good time, so I'm glad she got to do that.

Fast forward to this week.  I was having lunch on Wednesday and felt really full after I ate.  As the day wore on, I got more uncomfortable, and I certainly didn't feel like eating dinner.  After an uncomfortable night, I had my DH take me to the emergency room.  After several tests, it was determined that I have a rather large tumor pressing on my stomach.  I haven't been able to eat anything since Wednesday and it is rather painful.  The tumor could be benign or malignant.  Rather than delay things with additional testing when the outcome is that I'll have to have the tumor removed anyway, it was decided to go ahead and schedule surgery to remove it.  In addition, I also have an enlarged ovary that they want to check at the same time.  They won't know anything about these 2 masses until the surgery is done.  So, tomorrow I will be in surgery.  I will try to update my friends on the outcome when I feel well enough to do so.  I've delegated care of my mom over to my siblings as I have to take care of myself now.  DH has been a big help and a great comfort.

So, that's why you haven't heard a lot from me this year.  Prayers right now would be helpful and appreciated.  Thank you to all my blog friends.  I feel like I've gotten to know many of you through your blogs and facebook, and I really appreciate all of my friends.
Take care,


  1. prayers for a successful outcome on the surgery. Good that they can take care of both issues at the same time. Blessings for a peaceful end of the year. cw

  2. Oh, Karen, I'm so sorry for all the troubles you've had. I will keep you in my prayers with special attention to a benign outcome. Please keep me updated.

  3. I'm so sorry to hear how tough your year has been Karen. Sending thoughts and prayers for you tomorrow, Sam xox

  4. Oh my. I am on my knees for you, dear girl! Please email me or update when you can, I know you won't feel like it for some time. Prayers are going up for your whole family!!!!

  5. I'll be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. Good luck to you mom with her treatments too.
    Thanks for letting us know what was going on, and I look forward to hearing from you after it's all over.

  6. You have been on my mind all day. It will likely be a while before you see this, but I hope all is well and that you will be blogging and sewing again, soon. Lane


Thank you taking the time to leave a comment and visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments.